Cleaning out the freezer, I found a pack of frozen puff pastry and was inspired to take my homemade yogurt cream-cheese to the next level. I know what you are thinking, a pack of frozen puff pastry? Shouldn’t she be making this herself since they are trying to get out of the supermarket? Well, wouldn’t it be better to use it up than throw it out? And since I canned the apple sauce, made the yogurt cheese, know the chickens who laid the egg and could take a quick drive to see the bees who collected the honey, I wasn’t overly concerned. I’ve never made puff pastry before and I’ve heard it’s pretty labour intensive. Perhaps it will be another project all in itself.
Here is my recipe for quick and easy Apple Cream-Cheese Turnovers.
1/2 cup (roughly) of Apple Sauce
1 Apple, chopped (to add some crunch the turnovers)
1/3 cup (estimated) of Cream Cheese or yogurt cheese
1 Spoon full of Local Honey
1 Farm Fresh Free Range Egg, divided
1. Mix homemade apple sauce and chopped apple in a bowl.
2. In a separate bowl mix cream cheese with a spoon full of honey and a free range egg yolk.
3. Roll out pastry and cut into squares.
4. Put a small dollop of apple and cheese mixture onto each puff pastry square.
5. Rub edge with egg white and fold over, lightly pressing the edges.
6. Place turnovers in fridge for 15 minutes.
7. Top with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.
8. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, rotating pan once.